Thursday, April 3, 2008

Posting #4

Posting #4

Pgs. 132-176

The HitchHicker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Analysis

Page 133, paragraph 8 – pages 134, paragraph 2

Zaphod stared at Arthur.

“Did you think of that Earthman?” he demanded.

“Well,” said Arthur, “all I did was…”

“That’s very good thinking, you know. Turn on the Improbability Drive for a second without first activating the proofing screens. Hey, kid, you just saved our lives, you know that?”

“Oh,” said Arthur, “well, it was nothing really…”

“Was it?” said Zaphod, “Oh well forget it then. Okay, computer, take us in to land.”

“But…”

“I said forget it.”

Response

I think that Arthur is still using his “Earthman” manners even when he’s not even on earth anymore. Since Zaphod isn’t used to the term “it was nothing really” he just assumed that Arthur was doing something mindlessly and with out any effort at all. When it actually is just something to say out of courtesy.

Significance

Arthur needs to drop his “Earthman” remarks and sayings really quick or he will keep getting ignored and looked at insignificantly through the entire book. This also looks at Zaphod’s point of view on things. He thinks that if you don’t take credit for something you shouldn't be given credit, even if Zaphod knows he did something good and life saving. Shows how Zaphod thinks everyone should be like him.

Questions

Question 1. What do did you think happened to the ship and the passengers at the beginning of the reading when they weren’t in the ship anymore?


Question 2. How did Zaphod get two heads and an extra arm in the first place? Did I just miss this part of the book? If it really hasn’t said like I think it hasn’t what are some of the ideas you guys think how he got his extra limbs.

3 comments:

LordTosti said...

A1.
I'm sure their still there they probably just don't serve any significance in the part of the story.
A2.
He started out with the two heads and third arm they were there when he was introduced.

Joe K. said...

Yeah he just can't seem to fit in to this new world he's dropped into. He will need to change fast to survive.

Question 1. What do did you think happened to the ship and the passengers at the beginning of the reading when they weren’t in the ship anymore?

Improbability restored. DING. Hey they're back. It seems that with the finite probabilities they may have ended up somewhere else at first.

Question 2. How did Zaphod get two heads and an extra arm in the first place? Did I just miss this part of the book? If it really hasn’t said like I think it hasn’t what are some of the ideas you guys think how he got his extra limbs.

He didn't grow them. He had them when they first met, however he somehow bought them and got them added onto his current charecteristics. Don't ask me I'm just an earthman.

Ryan T said...

Answer1:
They ship was just made, it hadn't been used yet. The freaking packaging materials were still on.

Answer2:
Same thing as Timmy. he had them since his first appearance in the book.