Posting #3
TKAM
Quote #2- Beginning of Chapter 9
"For a number of reasons," said Atticus. "The main one is, if I didn't I couldn't hold up my head in town, I couldn't represent this county in the legislature, I couldn't even tell you or Jem not to do something again."
This was when Atticus was explaining to Scout why he was going to serve the case of Tom Robinson. Scout was confused why people were calling Atticus a “Nigger Lover”.
Atticus is a wise, old man and has a strong pride. He believes that if he didn't take this case that he would be letting the state, the town, and his kids down. I think that this is very noble of him. A normal lawyer might deny the case just because Tom Robinson is a black man. He thinks it is irrelevant and wants to show everyone else that it is irrelevant.
This is significant because it helps show the reader Atticus' chain of thought. That he wants to challenge himself even if he knows he will lose. Its more for his own self pride that he at least tried to lead the case. Him explaining it to Scout helps Scout understand her father better and it helped explain why people are saying nasty things about him.
Questions:
1 If you were in Scout's place, when cecil talked Atticus a "Nigger Lover" what would you do?
2 How did the knot in the tree affect the story, since it got filled up, does it still have to do with the story?
2 comments:
1. I agree with what you say about Atticus. He is a wise man, and by taking a "nigger's" case, he has done a very brave thing. I think by taking the case, Atticus has done a very respectful thing and should be respected.
2. I would probably fire baak at Cecil with hastily worded remarks. I am not the kind of person to get into a fist fight, but if Cecil did that I would be quite angry at him.
3. I think despite the knot getting filled up with cement, I think that Boo will still find a way to "give" Scout and Jem items. I also think that yes, this knot in a tree is another character in the book and will keep playing parts as the book goes on.
I completly agree with your quote anaylis because its true he is a stong old man who has a past that hopefully will be revealed in the end.
2 i would just say to him "your not worth my time." and walk away.
3 i do not think there is anything more to the knot in the tree. besides the fact that Boo is not a mean crazy man who eats cats and birds but, he is good at spelling, carving wood, and is a nice person. also known from the blankets.
Post a Comment