Wednesday, April 9, 2008

posting #5

Posting #5

176-216

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Analysis

Quote: It said: “ The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why and Where phases.”

“For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question How can we eat? the second by the question Why do we eat? and the third by the question Where shall we have lunch?”

Response

After I read this quote I started to put the theory to the civilizations on earth that I could think of. And as far as I have thought it works and is true. With the Human civilization it started out by cave men which was killing things and just eating it with out preparation. Then later was then all the scientists and “thinkers” came and invented and came up with reasons for all the stuff in the universe. And now a days we really don’t care how we get our food, we buy it, cook it, then figure out where and when we want to eat it and with who.

Significance

This book ties in with the actually world and real life a lot more than I realized at first. Then I remember all the lines that were significant in the book and I realize that most of them are true and make sense. Like that humans are the 3rd worst poets in the universe of what ever. I don’t really like poetry and maybe that’s why because we are one of the worst. Maybe if I experienced the best I would like poetry better than I do.

Questions

Question 1. Do you think that the end of the universe is an actual place or was Zaphod joking when he said that at the end of the book?

Question 2. Now that you have read through the book, if you were in Arthur’s place how would you act to this new atmosphere of the space and that your home earth was destroyed?

3 comments:

LordTosti said...

A1.
Yes, there is a restaurant at the end of the universe and supposedly it is called The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, so, no, he wasn't joking.

Question 2. Now that you have read through the book, if you were in Arthur’s place how would you act to this new atmosphere of the space and that your home earth was destroyed?
A2.
I would probably deal with the means of shoving Zaphod off the ship, argue with Trillian about why I shoved him and then look for my towel just in case of an attack and get the escape pod to save him and punch him face (or faces depending and how mad I am) upon re-boarding the ship, and then go have a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster and go to bed.

Joe K. said...

Well it was referring to one specific piece of poetry not the whole thing in general, but still the three questions do define many civilizations.

Question 1. Do you think that the end of the universe is an actual place or was Zaphod joking when he said that at the end of the book?

He was not joking and it is not about where it is but when ;) anywhere could be considered the end of the universe.

Question 2. Now that you have read through the book, if you were in Arthur’s place how would you act to this new atmosphere of the space and that your home earth was destroyed?

I would probably try to find a planet that is very similar to earth. I would try to pretend it was earth and ignore the random aliens that may pass through. Arthur is not very brave and wouldn't have gone on that adventure given a chance. Maybe find some nice galactic sheep ;)

Ryan T said...

Answer1:
The restaraunt is capitalized, so if Zaphod was joking he was probably making the place up. But that would be highly unlikely. Anyway, I know that the next book is named that, so it's a real place.

Answer2:
I would stay with the storyline and randomly blurt out spoilers to the other people for the heck of it. And, like Timmy, do something impolite to Zaphod. (I don't know, he hasn't been very nice to Arthur either)