Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Post #4

Post 4

Chapters 10-12

TKAM

Quote

Chapter 11

Pg 112

“She was. She had her own views about things, a lot different from mine, maybe… son, I told you that if you hadn’t lost your head I’d have made you go read to her. I wanted you to see something about her—I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. Mrs. Dubose won, all ninety-eight pounds of her. According to her views, she died beholden to nothing and nobody. She was the bravest person I ever knew.”

(This was when Atticus was explaining to Jem why Mrs. Dubose was acting the way she did and even though she said nasty things about him, he still thought she was a lady.)

Response

I believe that Atticus is completely right. If at least if you try to win, even if you do win, you still won because you have completed a life lesson. This book in general had lots of very useful and helpful advise, that many people in this country need to abide by. Mrs. Dubose might have said mean things about Atticus but its what someone does when you are about to die and you know it, that determines how much of a decent person they are.

Significance

Atticus is like the voice of reason in the entire book. He might not raise his kids like normal parents would, but he also makes sure that they do the most important thing in life, respect one another’s souls and personality. The point that he said he would have made Jem read to her even if Jem didn’t go crazy, shows that he really cares about people even if the person cares little for him.

Questions

  1. So I think that Atticus is the voice of reason in the book and the most important character, who do you think is the most important character and why?
  2. Do you think that Jem was really mad at Mrs. Dubose when she gave him the box with the flower in it? If yes why would he be so mad? If not what emotions do you think he was feeling to make him through the box in the fire?

2 comments:

Gabe said...

1. I think this quote shows a lot about Mrs. Dubose and Atticius' knowledge. Mrs. Dubose might have seemed mean to Scout, Jem, and Dill, but she was at heart a determined woman who wanted to be held back by nothing when she died.

2. I think the most important character is Tom Robinson. Despite he not saying close to anything in the book, much of the plot revolves around him, as he is the reason why Atticus is the talk of the town.

3. I think Jem really was mad at Mrs.Dubose, as that flower reminded him of what he had done to her yard, and since she was gone, he couldn't do anything to apologize to her.

Unknown said...

1. i completly agree with ur anaysis. anyway you look into this story they always come out winning by not victory but by knowledge.

2. atticus isnt the only most important person in the book. for instance Tom Robinson is the symbol of judgment and moral deciding. Atticus is repersents knowledge and guideness.

3. I dont think Jem was mad but was angry/sad because he knew it wasnt fair for her to die that she should have redeemed herself. also some people respond to sadness in diffrent ways.